Friday, November 27, 2009

Don't "THINK" you can.... "KNOW" you can...

A dialogue from the movie "The Matrix".....
Morpheus: What are you waiting for? You're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are..
This dialog from the movie, although a sci-fi flick... just clicked in my head for some reason.
Can this be applied to a real life scenario as well? This question bothered me for many days when I finally decided to give it a try. And this is what happened.....
I was 21 years old, and I did not know how to drive a car. The only driving that I ever did was controlling the steering wheel when someone else was driving the car. Well, the moment of truth came when one of my friends asked me to pick his car up from the workshop as he was busy with some work. Although it was only a 2 Km drive and I had the basic idea of how the clutch/gears are used, the knowledge was only theoretical. Not a very suitable situation, but I decided to try the "Matrix" philosophy here... I tried to visualize myself sitting in the car, putting it into first gear, and then shifting to the 4th gear, and driving seamlessly. I thought that I can drive a car, but I assured my mind that I know how to drive a car. After that I went to the workshop, thought about the driving, and turned on the ignition. I put it into first gear, and slowly eased the clutch pedal. The car jerked into motion, and in a few seconds I was cruising in 4th gear, but only for a few minutes as I soon reached my destination.

This little experiment turned out to be a successful one and gave me a whole new perspective of life on how can a difficult situation be overfome. But the question still remained, that was it possible to apply this theory to all aspects of life?
After that I tried to implement this many a times, when I would be stuck with work and there would not be a single acceptable alternative I could find. At that time I used to assure myself that I know what the solution is, just need to work a little harder to find it.

As a background, my father and mother have been deeply involved (for the last 30+ years) in teaching practices such as Meditation, Siddhi and its Advanced Techniques across the globe, as taught by our guru HH Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

So, I was lucky enough to be brought up in such an enviornment where living in harmony with nature and following the natural law was a daily routine.

One fine day, my father (who was not aware of my so called experiments) came up with a more refined theory. He mentioned about practicing a technique where you start to ascertain something that you want most in life, and then just visualize yourself as if you had achieved it. It sounded a little strange at first. But after pondering on this point for a few minutes I started to find similarities on what my father has said, and what I had been experimenting. Wasn't this the same as what I was doing? And given his extensive experience in this particular field I had no reason to argue on this point.
I decided to take up my father's recommendation since it was a more refined version of my theory, and that finally became "Don't THINK you can, KNOW You can..."
Till date, I have been able to successfully apply this technique whenever I am faced with a problem or when I really want something to happen. I am not sure how this would apply to other individuals.... but given the fact that we are biologically similar beings, I don't think it should be a problem.

These are only preliminary results of applying the technique in real life, but so far it has proven to be very effective in my life.
Although based on the technique, anything is achievable, the rest all depends on an indivudual's willingness.....
(Dirty minds, don't be thinking of doing "just about everything" using this technique... ;-) )

No comments: